Skip to main content
Back to top
Top 10 Fat-Shedding Tips
- Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper. Restated, breakfast should be the heaviest meal and dinner, the lightest. Remember, your metabolic rate is at its highest during the day and at its lowest in the evening (and during sleep). Match your metabolic rate therefore with your meal size.
- Be sure to eat a protein with every meal. Protein preserves your hard-earned muscle and increases metabolic rate (transiently). Don’t eat unopposed carbohydrates.
- Fat doesn’t make you fat. This is a myth and the genesis of the low fat diets of the 80’s. In fact, to augment fat loss, eat plenty of “good” fats such omega-3 fatty acids found in small, cold-water fish and omega-9 fatty acids such as olive oil. Walnuts, almonds and avocados are excellent sources of fat as well.
- Steer clear of non-vegetable carbohydrates. What does that mean? Eat mostly greens and avoid fruit except blueberries. In essence, consume only foods with glycemic indices < 40. This will minimize your cravings for “sweet.” Most of us are addicted to simple carbohydrates (sugars) that evoke a pleasure sensation in the brain (similar to a drug).
- Take supplements throughout the day (not as a large single dosage with breakfast) with foods. This will minimize stomach upset and assure adequate levels of micronutrients in the bloodstream (without large peaks and troughs).
- Drink 1 gallon of water daily. This will augment fat loss, optimize cellular function, accelerate the excretion of bodily toxins and induce a feeling of satiety. Soda of all types is prohibited. In fact, diet soda has been shown to be of no benefit in the context of weight loss.
- Limit foods and ultimately refrain from eating after 7 P.M. nightly. Dinner should be predominantly protein and fat. Carbohydrates should be limited in order to switch on the fat burning mechanism.
- Abstain. Yes that’s right, minimize if not eliminate alcohol consumption. Alcohol is a source of empty calories, will raise blood triglyceride (fat) levels and interfere with your efforts to lose body fat.
- Go live! Eat probiotic foods (low carbohydrate, live yogurt and sauerkraut) or take a probiotic supplement. These support gut health (improving digestion), bolster immunity and improve glucose tolerance..
- Stay away from the scale. Body weight may not fall as expected because on the prescribed program you will gain muscle (very dense tissue) and concomitantly lose fat. This will be manifested as a more shapely, trimmer you. Pay attention only to your waistline therefore! For the serious amongst you, consider visiting Dr. Osborn's clinic for an Inbody anthropometric analysis. Start the process here.